Monday, June 19, 2006

Thoughts Provoked!!

This a comment that I put on Shama's post. I recommend you read her post first before moving onto reading mine.

"this reminds me a similar quote that a heard a few days back by one of my professors. i cant place it in verbatim here, though.
it goes something like, "we are ourselves' greatest friend or the greatest foe. we hav to decide whether to hinder the self or let it grow." (hey its rhyming. im sure it wasnt rhyming wen prof. put it.) it isnt exact but kinda relates to the first and last line of ur quote.

but i think ur quote is true. ours is always a conflict between the mind and the heart, between practicality and emotions, between individual freedom and societal norms. and the one body, that is ours, gets clashed in the conflict.
and then realisation leads to efforts of breaking free.
:-) "

I have come to realise this lately; why don't we become aware that we are harming ourselves at time. Of course self-destructive thoughts and going as far as self-destruction are human thoughts, it's natural that we have them running through our minds. I have been subjecting myself to a lot of self-destructive thoughst lately, but then as Alter Abhishek puts it, what really matters how fast and efficiently we can get back to being the normal selves with our survival instincts.

My post and thoughts on this space are way different from what Shama might have been suggesting, it could be looked at as an off shoot what she is saying. I find a lot of things discussed these days on my fellow boggies blogs to be hitting me straight home. Right now, I'm in such a state of mind that I cant really think clearly and I find talk about varied topics overlapping onto each other. For example, Aditi's post & her comments kind of makes me think that how sometimes one doesnt have much choice (no offence to Aditi). I hate to think that way but looking at certain things in my own life I have conclude its true. Do we get to decide which country we are going to take birth into, who our parents are going to be or our siblings. We have a choice in the area of making friends but do we have a choice in meeting people that we do and how they come and go and change our lives for better or for worse. Okay, I'm veering off the topic, but all I'm saying is if pressure from other people to do certain things in our life is not enough, even we ourselves in a fuzzy state of mind or in anger or sadness make some choices. peer pressure, familial pressure, societal pressure, restrictions due to age, restrictions due to sex....why?!?!?!!

I hate societal pressure. Especially in a country like India. Sometimes I hate being a girl for the amount of restrictions that are laden on me not only by family but but society as a whole. Girls cant do certain derring-do's, girls cant stay out late at nights, girls have to conform to a certain image, women cant do crime reporting (okay, there are women who do brave deeds like war-zone reporting or crime reporting, but how many?? The number of women doing that can be counted on the fingers of your hands!). We have to explain about our actions and account for our time and money spent, with whom and on whom! Fuck society, I hate the patriarchal system, I hate being told to do certain things in a certain way! And when under pressure I do listen to society and people and not to myself, I become my greatest foe just like the quote Shama put. Why cant people let one be??

It becomes such a fucked up state of mind listening to people who say they are your well-wishers. And then one gets tired of listening to the same rant by the same people, and eventually all rationality, creativity to solve one's problem to get the best deal flies out of the window!

My post might sound very incoherent and something's getting linked to something else which dont really have a connection. Forgive my fuzzy state of mind. Seems like I lost track....


8 comments:

elfstone said...

I have no pressures :)

I do things as I please, I'm free.

Envy me :D

Kay Vee said...

elfie!!!!!!!!!
grrrrrrrrrrrrr....i feel like killing you....
how dare u ask me to envy you...???
and how dare i obediently and sincerely 'envy' you..?!?!?!?!
aarrrrrrrggghhhhh!!

elfstone said...

soon you will become like me :D

cheers!


Jealousy is the mother of change/discovery/invention!!

Aditi said...

elfstone u're a mean lil bugger
but the thing shhitrint is.. we always do have the ultimate choice. its a difficult choice but its our choice. I can refuse to meet this guy but I make the choice to meet him because it will hurt my family if i dont.
The choices are difficult but they are still there. and its still our choices that define who we are. Just like we can choose to keep falling or choose to fight .. fight for our right to be happy

Anonymous said...

Hi..

first time here...frankly to say u hv interesting post on various subjects...7 u hv a greta hand at adding wit in ur writing...cool..
nice to land on here..

karmic said...

Your post is really not that incoherent. You do make sense.
Don't have a quote but the ones you refer to sort of say it. Our biggest limitations are often the ones we put on ourselves. Now you may eventually say that it is societal, oreantal or gender related. But they are limitations regardless.
We have no choice about where and to whom we are born to. But I can certainly understand the pressures you talk about. I wish everyone let people be, I mean as parents one would provide the guidelines or a framework that heps you understand life out there, but beyond that you have to decide how you want to play it so to say.
I guess that is easy for me to say.
Try to get past the self-destructive thoughts though :)
They do no good, maybe meditate, try kickboxing or something that is an outlet. It helps just as using the 'f' word can be a release at times. :)
And as aditi says, keep getting up even when you fall for you are fighting the good fight.

Kay Vee said...

elfie: aditi said it right! ur a mean a lil bugger!!
but we love u anyway!
:D

aditi: yep! fight for our right to be happy. fighting makes me unhappy!
:-(

roy: thanx!

jay: yeah, i believe too that "Our biggest limitations are often the ones we put on ourselves." one just needs to break free.that doesnt always happen...

Anonymous said...

do we choose who our parents are or who our family is? no.

BUT BUT BUT... we do choose whether we want to connect to them as family... someone once told me a family isn't a family if they aren't there on an emotional level for you... and i couldn't stop thinking about that since then... do we just love family because they are family? isn't that some form of 'societys' rules' and 'pressure' too? do we need to be there for them (financially or otherwise) just because they are family? :S

interesting thoughts on here... :)

and hey no no you made sense... rambles of "disorganised" thoughts usually tend to make sense... to me anyway, haha! :)